Saturday, December 28, 2019

2019 Retrospective


My Facebook page is more of a diary and documentary site for events, reflections  and encounters that make up, my life. I have chosen 12 of these highlights from 2019 to share with those who may not usually see my FB feed

4 January 2019
Image may contain: 13 people, people smiling, crowd and outdoorThe wonder of life is that it will take you into sacred space in the most unexpected places. I have a custom when visiting Geelong of having a few drinks at a local club, Beavs. I love the eclectic decor of religious kitsch and the crowd who are always welcoming of the stranger in their midst.
Tonight it was obvious that something was in the air as so many young blokes were in white shirts and black ties.i had noticed a PowerPoint playing but didn’t pay too much attention.
It was only when almost everyone gathered for s group photo and I asked the bar staff that I realised I had walked into a “wake” for a young man, James Travers tragically killed in a hit run incident a few days before Christmas.
I went back to follow the PowerPoint images celebrating the life of Jimmy Travers. One image jumped out at me of Jimmy in his school uniform. Like me he had been a student at “Joeys” the local Christian Brothers College.St. Joseph's Old Collegians Association All of a sudden we were no longer strangers but brothers sharing a common history and communal grief touched my spirit.
Rest In Peace Jimmy and May your friends find consolation in their love for each other so evident tonight

4 February 2019
No photo description available.Good morning from the Queen Victoria building. A few images of this majestic structure including views that the regulars often miss as they scurry from shop to boutique.
My favourite space is the Men’s toilet with the original centre urinal still in place. Discrete, public and alluring don’t you think? I have a penchant for urinals as the current trend to Unisex Toilets threatens to see our urinals relegated to the archives of the human story. 

Check out my album of Sydney Images collected over recent years. I have not identified all of the images so feel free to add your comments or memories of the quirky, interesting and historic places I have captured.


1 March 2019
My life as a career delegate. Immersed in culture and change today. BrisAsia Symposium 2019 – Belonging Matt Hsu's Obscure Orchestra


No photo description available.

12 April 2019
Amazing moment where art, history and religion meet. Congratulations to Rhyl Hinwood on these beautiful sculptures that gaze out over our city telling the story of women and men who nurtured the early Christian communities.

More images from this event are in my album of St John's Cathedral
Anglican Church Southern Queensland

Image may contain: outdoor


4 May 2019
Today is World Naked Gardening Day.
Organizers assert that "besides being liberating, nude gardening is second only to swimming as an activity that people are most ready to consider doing nude".
Image may contain: Tony Robertson, smiling
Beyond body positivity, Corky Stanton of Clothes Free International, an organization that promotes nude recreation, has asserted that the event offers the "fringe benefits of bare, unabashed recreation: the satisfaction of exercising in the great outdoors; the attractiveness of an all-over tan; more Vitamin D on your whole body; the unbeatable experience of skinny-dipping if the naturist event involves a beach or a lake.
Thanks Wikipedia!!
So, readers, here's your chance to participate. These are my two watering cans that will feature in my photo shoot today. You get to nominate which watering can you would like to see me holding as I celebrate World Naked Gardening Day

12 June 2019
Really grateful to Halim Rane for a presentation last night on The Prophet's Covenants. I am passionate about the promotion and opportunities to develop religious literacy in our civic community. Social media has made everyone a participant in public conversation but also shows us the need for informed, considered and more "civic" commentary.
I have written a blog about the presentation and provided access to resources that Halim suggested for further reading and awareness.

8 July 2019

Amazing launch of #NAIDOC2019 with culture, community and reflection on the theme of Voice, Treaty, Truth.
So grateful for those Elders and community members who keep me grounded in First Nations culture and connection to country.

Photo : With Chris Tamayo at Brisbane City Hall.

Image may contain: 2 people, including Tony Robertson, people smiling, hat and glasses

7 August 2019
Image may contain: one or more people and people sittingDay one of the Franciscan Schools Australia Conference 2019 exploring encounter as a core religious and social commitment. Looking forward to the journey in spirituality and imagination we will share

A three day gig for me doing photography and social media. Check out my images here
#FSAC2019


6 September 2019
Day 3 of volunteer photography at Brisbane Writers Festival and the opportunity to catch up with friends who share the passion for books, community, culture and everything else that makes this Festival so wonderful.

Photo with Margi Brown Ash
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, hat, glasses and close-up

11 October 2019
Today I stand in public solidarity with the action on the William Jolly Bridge bridge by Extinction Rebellion. Solidarity greetings to Extinction Rebellion Geelong my birth city on #Wathaurong Country.
Image may contain: Tony Robertson, outdoorI also want to declare my public support for this week of activism and awareness raising by a new generation. I share my solidarity as a person of faith whose religious commitment includes the commandment to live with integral ecology in our common home which we share with diverse life forms and species.
Along with political activism I add my spiritual activism of prayer for my conversion and change of heart to simply with less stuff and choices that minimize my ecological footprint. As a Catholic I join with my sisters and brothers who celebrate October as the month of the Holy Rosary. The beads with which I pray are a set I brought back from Alice Springs one year decorated in the traditional Aboriginal colours.
In the last 24 hours I have been involved two conversations that highlight the frightening division in our community. On his FB page one of my brothers has posted a message supporting violence against XR protesters suggesting that the speed bump response is "harsh but fair". This is a suggestion I find disturbing and offensive in the extreme. To read it from one of my own family is gut wrenching.
While I was taking this in I received a message from a young mate who wanted to know if I would be joining him at the XR action this morning. Of these two conversations the call from a young man to join the passion for change far outweighs the relationship to a curmudgeon.

28 November 2019
The family tribute to Sam Watson,my political mentor and focus of my social protest photography. In recent years each Labour Day I would photograph Sam and Cathy as they sat proudly with their flag watching their comrades parade past for workers rights and workplace justice.
RIP mighty warrior of your people.

1 December 2019

You should never underestimate where your reputation travels: I have only met the legendary Sr Angela Mary once.It was in the middle of a shopping centre. I introduced myself and said I just wanted to say hello to a #Brisbane legend. She smiled at me and said "And I know you too Tony Robertson" with that disarming twinkle in her eyes.

Trent Dalton Pretty darn wonderful yourself Tony Robertson!! Thanks so much for sharing.